Saturday, July 17, 2010

BLUE Hydrangea in Strazz-Land!


I'm going to be a REAL housewife geek here for a minute.  Bear with me.  I LOVE flowers, and I like to garden.  Our house has so many flower beds (developed before our time here) it's tough to keep up with, but we try - for the most part, unsuccessfully.  For the last couple of years, we've tried to pick a single bed and focus on it.  First was the side garden - which I made into my perennial bed, then was the front of the house - we tore out HUGE bushes and put in hydrangea, third was a garden in the middle of the back yard - which has blueberry bushes, and I like to add seeded annuals.  This year for obvious reasons I haven't been able to weed & keep up - it shows!  The beds looked great in May, not so much anymore.
  
I have one saving grace this year - my hydrangea are BLUE!  Hydrangea are one of my MOST favorite flowers.  For my wedding shower, my Mum worked with the florist to get the most gorgeous blue hydrangea, I think they were flown in from Holland.  I've never seen anything like them!  Every time we go to the Cape, I drool over my mother-in-law's hydrangea bushes, and all of the beautiful blooms on the way to the beach.  Most are a deep blue.  And if not blue, they are a beautiful deep purple color.  No matter what I've done to mine the past couple of years, they are light periwinkle colored.  The soil, I know...blah blah blah...but I.WANT.BLUE.  (That was me throwing a hydrangea tantrum). 

Go figure - I put nothing on them this year and they are the deepest blue they've ever been.  Not big blooms, but blueeeeeeee ones.  I LOVE them!


I welcome any hydrangea tips out there! Send 'em my way!

Have a great day!

~E
 

No comments:

Post a Comment