Friday, December 3, 2010

Snowballs...

I showed you these snowballs last week from Anthropologie...a set of eight is $20 (plus shipping I'm sure)...


Enter JoAnn Fabrics again...since I'm very Mom-ish these days (although I have not yet picked up knitting or crocheting).  I picked up a few inexpensive packages of white styrofoam balls - the largest package included two for $2.99.  The price went down from there.  I picked up some 3M brand styrofoam spray glue, and then a bag of faux snowflakes A.K.A. "Frosty Snow."  I did not prepare very well for this - the weather was crummy so I used my mudroom and I just basically got after it with no thought or preparation.  The most I did was line a cardboard box with a trash bag and fill it with "snowflakes" so I could put my freshly covered glue balls in there and shake them around.  Essentially, here's what happened...


This is what I can show you but I can also share the level of "highness" that happened from spraying chemicals in a small mudroom with no ventillation!!  Here are my snowballs drying in their box of "snowflakes"...


And here they are all done!


So, although they look nice, let me tell you what NOT to do:
1. Do NOT spray glue or other adhesive chemicals in a small or unventilated space. If you absolutely MUST, wear a mask! DUHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!
2. WEAR GLOVES!  Did you SEE my hands?
3. Definitely use WHITE styrofoam - all of the snowflakes will not stick, and they do make a mess, so to get that white snowball look spring for the white styrofoam balls instead of the green ones.
4. If you can hang the balls to get a really even coat of spray glue, I would advise trying that instead of hand-holding them and rotating them while you spray, like I did.
5. Did I say wear gloves?!!!!

If you heed my advice, go for it!

~E

No comments:

Post a Comment