Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Some Local Antiquing Fun!

I've been wanting to check out some of my local antique/thrift/consignment stores and finally took the plunge a few weeks ago.  I found a hidden gem of an antique store across town with loads of goodies - old mason jars & glass bottles, antique silver, jewelry, depression glass/milk glass/hobnail glass pieces, and just some really cool and unique stuff.  Here are a few of the goodies I picked up...

An assortment of green/blue glass bottles and mason jars, as well as an old beehive (Random, I know! But it was resting inside one of the bottles I loved so naturally I had to take it home with me. I am thinking of using some jute maybe and hanging it in the mudroom.  Although since Christopher is allergic we are really hoping that when spring comes no little "friends" emerge!!!):


This cute little sand "painting" (with a couple of antique fishing floats I bought this summer at an antique store in the Cape):


An old paddle, because we do live on a river...so I needed a paddle?!  I'm actually debating painting this little guy up with some fun stripes or leaving it as is, not sure yet:


Two antique boxes:


I also have a little red bench that I'll show you with my Christmas porch "reveal."  This same little store is having an open house for the holidays so I took my girlfriend to check it out.  I scooped up some antique Christmas ornaments and another couple of old glass bottles.  She found an old lantern and a pin/brooch.  When we headed out back to our cars, we found some piles of goodies under a big trailer and did some digging - we snagged a couple of old wooden boxes (cute for my Christmas pinecones on the front porch maybe...), a big bag of clear beach glass, and an adorable clay teacup with saucer.  Nothing like a little trash picking!

I like mixing new & old for a unique, custom look at home.  I have my big oak dining table, for example, with a couple of modern, white Panton chairs at either end.  And in my kitchen I have a modern white pedestal table from Ikea surrounded with a set of Heywood Wakefield chairs I scooped up off Craigslist for $75 and painted turqoise (most antique lovers would probably cringe at hearing this, I'm sure I could have sold them and made a profit but being super preggers at the time "we" (the hubby) just sprayed them with some turqoise paint).  

Anyone know of any good antique/thrift stores in MA?

Happy Pre-Turkey Day!

~E

No comments:

Post a Comment