Sunday, February 26, 2012

Floral Arrangements

I've been really into Pinterest lately.  If you're not into it yet - get into it.  It's a website where you can upload/share photos to your own "pinboards" to have them neatly filed and available for future reference.  You can categorize however you'd like - clothes, jewelry, entertaining ideas, food, home decor, etc.  I've been using it to collect design inspiration for our next home, home decor in general, recipes, jewelry, entertaining and floral ideas. 

Which brings me to my topic ~ flowers.  I've always loved fresh flowers either in the garden or in the house and fortunately I have a sweet hubby who rather frequently brings me gorgeous flowers.  I've also come to enjoy arranging them myself ~ I did all of the flowers for Bentley's christening as well as his birthday, plus arrangements for our Moms, Chris' cousin for her wedding shower, and whatever I can bring in from outside in the spring & summer.  So I decided after I was down in the dumps a few weeks back I REALLY wanted some fresh flowers in the house because I knew they would cheer me up and smell great ~ my hubby brought me home a couple of my favs just from S&S, lilies and sunflowers, and they looked great for a couple of weeks.  Now I'm on a mission to keep fresh flowers around the house as much as possible ~ they're beautiful, smell great, and make me happy.

On Pinterest I've been collecting ideas for floral arrangements.  I usually just use my simple square vases or mason jars for smaller arrangements, but they have some fun ideas...

Vases wrapped in colored fabric & burlap...


Inexpensive tins & small buckets you can buy at a local craft store...


Vintage ceramic containers or maybe even old tea cups...


Colored glass (I used to save blue Luna de Luna wine bottles for vases)...


A nice bowl for large blooms...


Other vintage glass containers...


These may be a splurge but sometimes you can find similar styles at Target & Homegoods...


So, my mission is not only to keep fresh blooms around my house as much as possible, but since I enjoy actually arranging them myself it is also to find new and inexpensive ways to contain them.  We have an inexpensive thrift store in town that I bet is crawling with inexpensive glass & ceramic options so I'll be hitting them up this week for my first little floral "project" and then I plan to just pick up flowers at Stop & Shop, using their single flower bundles to mix and match (usually their pre-made arrangements are hideous). 

I'll share what I come up with!

All photos are courtesy of Pinterest, I am unsure of the specific users/origin.

~E

No comments:

Post a Comment