Monday, April 9, 2012

Bump Update...

So we're in WEEK 36 (updated bump picture coming this week...)!  The latest food-to-fetus comparison is a honeydew melon.  BGS is supposedly 18 inches long and 5 1/4 pounds.  It's funny because I am carrying so differently than with Bentley.  With him I had a big round belly that went alllllll the way around and my belly button only popped a little.  This munchkin is just plopped right on the front of me and my bellly button is sticking out much more so I look very pointy.  It's odd.  I am pretty uncomfortable but surviving. 

Today I had a check-up at the gestational diabetes clinic.  FUN.  Every time you go you meet with different people so there is very little consistency and you get asked a lot of the same questions over and over.  The nice lady Grace who takes my weight and blood pressure is really the only person I don't want to punch in the face when I go there.  After I saw her today, they shipped me over to the dietician again ~ to talk about the same things we discussed last time.  Some of my morning numbers have been high which she said is very common at this point in pregnancy.  Hormones are crazy the next few weeks and it happens to a lot of women, and the morning is the hardest to control.  So after I told her about all the same foods I am eating...that we discussed 3 weeks ago...she again told me to eat more eggs and veggies.  She made a brief mention that worst case if I can't get them down I'll need a "little bit" of insulin to keep my morning numbers down.  This didn't sit well with me as I waited to see what I thought was a nurse but turned out to be another Dr./Endocrinologist.  He was a nice guy and after I told him how some of my morning numbers were spiking just in the last week he actually seemed to listen to me when I said that at this point in my pregnancy I had NO interest in starting insulin.  It would be one thing if all of my numbers were out of control but for a handful of morning spikes that I feel pretty good about being able to control, I don't want to add anything else to my regiment at this point.  This has been such a hard pregnancy for lots of different reasons and I told him that for the remaining 3 maybe 4 weeks my personal preference is NOT to add anything else and not to start insulin ~ I would prefer to just go about the best I can to control things by my diet.  He was very understanding and suggested although he knew I couldn't do a lot of exercising b/c of the early labor scare that even walking just around the first floor or inside the house for 10 mins after breakfast should help.  So I agreed to try that and he wanted me to call in on Thursday and report how my numbers were doing for the next few mornings.  All was fine and I left...

About 15 minutes later I get a call from the hospital from some lady named Kathy who didn't specify who she was or where she was from.  She just started asking me if I just had an appt. with Dr. LeRosa I think was his name ~ I was clueless who she was and I said I just left an appt with the male Dr. but did not know his name.  She immediately started insisting that I schedule an appointment for Thursday to come in instead of calling in with my numbers because if they were high the next couple of days she wanted me to start my insulin on Thursday.  WTF lady - I don't even know who you are?!  Let's just say she pissed me off very quickly (not hard these days but still...).  I tried to explain to her that I spoke to the Dr. and agreed that I would call to check in with my numbers on Thursday and we'd go from there, I had another appointment already on the calendar.  She pushed and pushed that she wanted me to come in on Thursday so I could start insulin right away and not wait any longer.  After telling her that I was a little confused because this isn't what I talked about with the Dr., and I don't even know my schedule Thursday or if I can get a sitter, she kept pushing.  This bitch wouldn't quit.  I tried telling her that I am not interested in taking insulin at this point and my preference is to do the best I can diet-controlled only (of course it would be different if all of my numbers were out of whack but this is not the case).  This bitch was so persistent that I finally told her "listen, what I'm saying is that even if you give me insulin, I'm not taking it."  Well she didn't like that and copped an attitude.  I said for the last time "I will call you on Thursday to report in my numbers and we'll take it from there."  Then she hung up. 

I was HEATED.  I already don't like these appointments as I've made very clear and now I have some unknown lady all up in my business when I don't even know who she is/her title/what she knows about my pregnancy.  I left a message with my OB to discuss with her because as of last week she knew a few of my morning numbers were starting to spike and told me just to do the best I can and as long as they're on track most of the time that's OK.  Then I called the nice lady Grace at the clinic to tell her what happened.  Apparently this lady is a Nurse Educator and I was supposed to have met her by now but haven't ~ so I explained the situation and that I felt totally caught off guard with some woman who's role/title I didn't know ~ she didn't explain who she was, who I've never met, I don't know if she even talked to the Dr. I saw, calling me pushing an appointment to come in and start insulin when this is not what I discussed with the Dr. I just saw, and that she was very persistent and pushy.  I made clear to Grace as well that at this point in my pregnancy right now I am not interested in adding insulin ~ I'll do the best I can by diet but that's it.  So Grace and I agreed I'd call Thursday to report in and that if my numbers were wacky still she would move my appointment up to next week instead of the following, which I agreed to. 

It's very frustrating trying to eat so strictly - especially at 8/9 months pregnant - and I'm doing the best I can but not gonna lie, I've cheated a few times.  Sometimes Mama just needs a Caramel Frappe or a Coke but 98% of the time I have been doing really well.  I know this clinic is there to help but its hard meeting with different people every week who are asking you the same questions and you aren't building a relationship or any sort of trust with them.  I feel like they're telling all of the pregnant ladies the same thing so it kind of makes you feel like just another face they're seeing without really knowing your background.  So that is my poor experience of the day.  I knew I was gonna snap at someone soon and it looks like today was the day.  Glad the nice lady Grace took my call to vent because I felt like someone should know and something like that should not be happening to someone else. 

That's about all for now!

~E 

No comments:

Post a Comment