Friday, March 9, 2012

Diabetes Shiametes...

Well I just got back from my first meeting at the diabetes clinic.  I met with a nurse first to go over my schedule (pricking myself) and then with a dietician to go over what I should be eating.  Here's the drill...

First thing in the AM:
1) Pee on a stick to check my keytones - if they are high two days in a row I have to be seen
2) Prick myself to check my fasting blood sugar - BOOOOO


Breakfast = 30g carbs / unlimited veggies & protein
*An hour after breakfast I have to stab myself to check my blood sugar - Insert more BOOOOOs here


Snack = 30g carbs / unlimited veggies & protein


Lunch = 45g carbs / unlimited veggies & protein
*Prick myself again an hour after lunch to check my blood sugar


Snack = 30g carbs / unlimited veggies & protein


Dinner = 45g carbs / unlimited veggies & protein
*Last prick of the day to check/record blood sugar 
 
Snack = 30g carbs / unlimited veggies & protein


Basically they told me you get gestational diabetes because at a certain point in pregnancy the placenta starts producing a hormone (so they check you when this hormone is highest) and it can affect how your cells react to the sugars, i.e. creating high blood sugar.  I was worried about having to count calories, etc. but really I just have to count carbs ~ counting out what I eat is NOT for me.  They also recommend having protein with each meal/snack as it will help reduce blood sugar by the way it reacts with carbs.  And walking will help.  I also have to go to a "diabetes clinic" on Mondays where I meet with an endocrinologist to review how things are going.  Otherwise, if my keytones are high for 2 days in a row or if my blood sugar is high for a couple/few days in a row and I can't get it down, then I have to call in. 

Really its just a nuisance & annoying, even my OB said so.  The nurse said that it will be like a science experiment for a little while to see how my body reacts to what foods, raising my blood sugar.  I'm just not looking forward to any more freakin' appointments this pregnancy, I think I am wearing out my babysitters, i.e. Grammy & DeDe.

Anywho, just thought I'd share...

In other baby news, Baby "SECRET NAME" Strazz is 16 inches long and 3.3 lbs, the weight of 4 naval oranges.  All I know is that she is kicking the crap out of me!!

~E

No comments:

Post a Comment