Thursday, March 10, 2011

ROOM REVEAL: Master Bedoom

When we first bought our home, one of the selling points for us was a big sliding door and deck off of the master bedroom ~ along with several other porches around the house.  Our bedroom is such a bright room and it's nice to overlook the back yard; we get nice sunrises in the morning (of which I saw many when I was pregnant...lots of sleepless nights).  Although I don't have any deck/view pictures handy now...I'll make sure to take some once spring comes and dig up a few that I do have...here is the master bedroom BEFORE we moved in...


And AFTER...


I change up our bedding for the seasons, so the above all white bedding is for the warmer months and here is our comforter w/white West Elm quilt that I have on our bed for the winter...


You may notice we took the door off of the closet (left of the bed) ~ when we moved in EVERY room had a door on it.  We wanted to open everything up, not that it made too much of a difference here in the master but we took that door off so now we can walk through to the closet/master bathroom.

I first painted this room turquoise, which I loved but after a couple of years I wanted something warmer so I opted for this dark taupe.  It looks nice against the white trim and I can mix up colors if I ever get bored again.  As I mentioned, I mix up the bedding depending on the season and also use different throw pillows to change things up.  But I ALWAYS have my trusty turquoise somewhere.

I was debating for a few years what to do for a headboard and finally came to the conclusion that we didn't need one ~ instead we picked up a piece of wood at Home Depot and my Dad & I went to work on making a shelf for above the bed.  This was the first time I used any of nifty wood tools before I started refinishing furniture for around the house.  After the hubby cut the board to size, Dad & I went to sanding, finishing the edges with the draw bar and then distressing it (i.e. beating the s*** out of it), I stained it, and the hubster hung it with some simple brackets we also picked up at Lowe's or Home Depot.  I love art and my husband's family is full of artists, so above the bed I have an arrangement of family artwork and photography.

I also love what we did for lighting here ~ instead of lamps on either side of the bed I picked out a couple of modern sconces from West Elm and my electrician hung them for me. ;)  It frees up space on our side tables and adds a modern feel.  I also have a lamp over on our dresser that I scored before we moved in at Homegoods; its twin lives in Bentley's room.

Anywho...so there you have another room transformation from Casa de Strazz.  I hope you likey!

~E

No comments:

Post a Comment