Thursday, April 18, 2013

Healing Our City

Haven't been feeling well so I've been watching most of the Boston Marathon coverage, hoping at every moment they will announce an arrest.  As I sit with the kids watching the "Healing Our City" Interfaith Ceremony, I wanted to share some of the images that have been shared across the internet/Facebook as a result of Monday's events...
 
 
 
 
 

This is the video of the National Anthem at the Bruin's Game on Wednesday night.  It was followed throughout the game by "We are Boston" chants.  Bentley watched the video with me.  He may only be 2 but his Mama will make sure that no matter what they choose to teach or not teach when he goes to school, as well as Grace, they WILL know the National Anthem and Pledge of Allegiance word for word. And they WILL take off their hats, and they WILL put their hands over their hearts. 

This is the heart-breaking image of the young boy Martin who lost his life, with a simple, powerful message...



***The source of these photos is Facebook, a lot of whom I do not know the original owners for copywright purposes.  I do not claim any of these photos as mine and if you know the source please share and I will add, but for now I can only credit Facebook.***

I saw this on Facebook this morning - it is a disturbing photo and although I do not know the original source it was posted by a person or group called "Keep America American."  I don't know how I ended up as a "follower" of this group or person but actually a lot of the posts have been legitimate and things I have respected or agreed with.  But this morning, this crossed the line for me:


The blurb said, "To whomever made this, its Actually 3 dead I believe. But still... We lost Marines That day as well. May God be with you. Oorah!"  Now I am NOT one to ever get involved in political or religious debates on Facebook or anywhere else....I use FB to share pics of the kids and stay in contact with friends/family.  But this was appalling to me.  There were over 200+ comments with a range of emotions and reactions.  Normally, I just scroll on by but this morning, the "Bostonian" in me came out and I replied..."I have followed and shared many of your posts. But how inappropriate to say "no fucks were given" at ANY life lost? I am a Bostonian and whether it is Boston, Sandy Hook, or anywhere else on US soil OR overseas - those lives and tragic endings should be mourned. I am a Bostonian mourning with my city today, this week, and for however long to come. But I under no circumstance take for granted our service men and women and the amazing work they do and the fact that they put their lives on the line for my freedom every day. I actually make it a point every time I see someone in uniform to loudly and proudly say THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE. Hoping that others will hear and echo the appreciation. You cannot fault citizens who equally respect those lives lost in my city or overseas when the fact is that the media coverage is different. Whenever I hear the National Anthem, like last night at the B's game, I think of the direct impact now on my city as well as those brave heros overseas - but unfortunately the media isn't as 'in our face' with those military deaths as maybe they should be. But to say "no fucks were given" at ANY life lost - whether at what was supposed to be an innocent family day or a legit battle zone is unfair when there are people who give a significant fuck about both - even though it is not publicized the same way."

Thanks for listening to me rant today...and excuse the "f" bombs, he started it... ;)
~E

No comments:

Post a Comment