Saturday, July 3, 2010

The Horribles Parade

I would like to share with you a little tradition. Because my Dad loves tradition.

Each 4th of July in our hometown there is the "Horribles Parade." To this day, I have no idea why it is called the Horribles Parade. My friends and I went as little kids with our parents. It's a lovely little small-town parade to celebrate the 4th of July...there are floats & cars where people throw candy and fun things for you, and anyone from kids to town officials participate. I think one year our softball team got to walk in it. Very exciting as a youngster.

ENTER - MY FAMILY.  Those of you who know my Mum and Dad well will not be surprised by this...

Each year on July 3rd a project starts at the Mac household.  If it's a week day, my dad takes it off.  By this point, my Mum has researched, ordered, and stocked the house with HUNDREDS of water balloons - I'm talking heavy duty (probably military-grade if they were to exist...) water balloons.  I'm sure there is a fine-tuned process by now, but they will fill, tie, and then store their HUNDREDS (I'm really NOT exaggerating here!!) of water balloons in bins & buckets galore.  And off they head to our family friends' house along the parade route.

No one is safe. NO ONE. Not kids. Not the elderly (I think a long time ago a group of them hijacked the Senior Center bus along the parade route...). Not the town officials. Not the innocent bystanders walking or driving by at the end of the parade. In a car? CLOSE YOUR WINDOWS. My Mum will get you (yes, she's been known to throw a water balloon or two inside the car as people drive by).

And at the end, I'm sure they start strategizing and ordering balloons for next year!

...And that, my friends, is tradition. Those are my roots. That's where I come from. AND I'M PROUD OF IT! Explains a lot about me, huh?


On a side note: Today I would like to wish a very Happy Birthday to Al! Love you!

~E

No comments:

Post a Comment